Learn how to prepare this amazingly good and easy-to-make chicken and asparagus pasta. Healthy, light and scrumptious, it’s also a recipe that’s a cinch to put together on those busy work days. You only need to cook a couple of cubed chicken breasts along with some fresh asparagus in a light broth that’s been enhanced with a little sautéed garlic.
If you have some leftover chicken in the fridge, you can prepare the dish that much more quickly. The ingredients and directions are listed below, and you can watch the above video to see how everything’s put together. Top it off with a bit of Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil. It pairs well with a nice glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried penne pasta
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Prep Time: Approximately 15 minutes
- Cook Time: Approximately 20 minutes
- Total Preparation Time: Approximately 35 minutes
Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to boil. Add pasta, and cook for about 8 – 10 minutes, until “al dente”. Drain and set aside.
Add 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the cubed chicken, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until chicken is done all the way through and browned, for approximately 5 minutes. Move the chicken to paper towels to drain.
Add the chicken broth to the skillet. Next, stir in the asparagus, garlic, and a few dashes more salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cover the skillet, and steam just until the asparagus is tender, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Add the chicken back to the skillet, and warm through.
Stir chicken mixture into pasta, and mix well. Let sit about 5 minutes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, stir again, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories per serving: 332
- Fat:10.9 grams
- Carbohydrates: 43.3 grams
- Protein: 16.7 grams
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
- Sodium: 69 mg